Hyderabad: When it comes to elections across the globe, one of the most vital factor is money. Political parties spend huge amounts of money on campaigning, whether on the ground or to advertise on TV or social media. In India, several crorepatis have been fielded by parties who will be contesting the Lok Sabha elections.
National Election Watch and Association for Democratic Reforms (ADR) that keep record of the candidates' assets tell us about the 'Richie Rich' in Indian elections. Have a look:
- Ramesh Kumar Sharma: Contesting from Patliputra constituency in Bihar, Independent candidate Sharma has assets over Rs 1,000 crore.
- Konda Vishweshwar Reddy: He is Telangana's richest candidate with assets worth Rs 895 crore. He fights from the Chevalla Lok Sabha constituency. Vishweshwar was earlier Chevalla MP from the Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS) party but he joined the Congress on the eve of the Assembly elections last December.
- Nakul Nath: Congress candidate from Chhindwara in Madhya Pradesh, he has declared assets worth Rs 660 crore.
- Harikrishnan Vasanthakumar: Congress' candidate from Kanyakumari, Vasanthakumar is the richest candidate in the 2019 elections with a reported wealth of Rs 417 crore. He is the founder and chairman of Vasanth & Co, the largest retail home appliance chain in Tamil Nadu.
- Jyotiraditya Scindia: With assets worth over Rs. 374 crore, Congress candidate from Guna Jyotiraditya Scindia is the one of the richest candidates contesting in Lok Sabha elections. He is also in-charge of the Congress in western Uttar Pradesh.
- DK Suresh: Congress candidate who has been fielded from the Bangalore Rural Lok Sabha seat in Karnataka, has total wealth amounts to in excess of Rs 338 crore out of which Rs 33 crore are movable assets while the remaining Rs 305 crore are in immovable assets. He is the brother of prominent Congress leader DK Shivakum
- Uday Singh: Also known as Pappu Singh, the Congress candidate from the Purnia Lok Sabha seat in Bihar assets worth Rs 341 crore to his name. He recently quit the BJP and joined the Congress party.
- Hema Malini: Bollywood veteran and BJP leader has assets worth Rs 250 crore. Her movable assets amount to Rs 25 crore while the immovable assets are worth Rs 224 crore. She is contesting the 2019 elections from the Mathura Lok Sabha seat in Uttar Pradesh.
- Shatrughan Sinha: Also known as Shotgun he is one of the richest candidates in fray for the elections. He has declared total assets worth Rs 193 crore. The actor is contesting from Patna Sahib in Bihar on a Congress ticket.