Hyderabad: Actors are known to be star campaigners. They leverage party support and in many cases have led the parties to triumph. Several Bollywood celebrities have taken the political plunge and the 17th Lok Sabha elections have seen stars who have formally joined the dance of democracy.
Here’s a list of other actors in the political fray:
- Sunny Deol: Son of veteran actor Dharmendra, Sunny joined the BJP. He will be contesting for the Gurdaspur Lok Sabha seat in Punjab.
- Urmila Matondkar: Bollywood actor Urmila Matondkar joined the Congress party and is the Congress candidate for the Mumbai North Lok Sabha seat.
- Nusrat Jahan: Model and actor of the Bengali film industry, Nusrat will be contesting elections for the first time. She has been fielded from Basir Lok Sabha seat as a ruling Trinamool Congress candidate led by CM Mamata Banerjee.
- Prakash Raj: A vocal critic of the ruling BJP and Narendra Modi, Prakash Raj will be contesting the election as an Independent candidate from Bengaluru Central seat.
- Dev: Reportedly the highest paid actor in Bengal film industry, Deepak Adhikari aka Dev has been in politics for sometime now. In 2014, he fought off veteran CPI leader Santosh Rana and Congress’ Manas Bhuniya in 2014. He is sitting Trinamool Congress MP from Ghatal constituency in West Midnapore district. He has been re-nominated by TMC chief Mamata Banerjee for the second time from Ghatal.
- Hema Malini: Bollywood veteran and BJP leader has assets worth Rs 250 crore. Her movable assets amount to Rs 25 crore while the immovable assets are worth Rs 224 crore. She is contesting the 2019 elections from the Mathura Lok Sabha seat in Uttar Pradesh.
- Shatrughan Sinha: Also known as Shotgun he is one of the richest candidates in fray for the elections. He has declared total assets worth Rs 193 crore. The actor is contesting from Patna Sahib in Bihar on a Congress ticket.
- Jaya Prada: Actor-turned politician Jaya Prada is up against Samajwadi Party’s Azam Khan in UP’s Rampur. She is a BJP candidate and recently hogged limelight with her war of words with Azam Khan.
- Babul Supriyo: Singer Babul Supriyo is the BJP candidate from the Asansol Lok Sabha constituency and is contesting against the Trinamool Congress' Moon Moon Sen, who is also an actor.
- Ravi Kishan: The Bhojpuri superstar has been fielded from the high profile seat of Gorakhpur. It’s the same seat from where the UP CM Yogi Adityanath won for many times.