Several users who have enrolled for Aadhaar card or already have an Aadhaar card expressed apprehension that their unique ID given in the card might be misused.
The fear is understandably since the Aadhaar ID given by Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) contains a person's biometric information such as a retina scan and fingerprint scans. These apprehensions can be overcome by an individual by choosing to either lock his or her Aadhaar biometric data or check online when the Aadhaar data was used for authentication. Here are the steps to be followed:
- Go to UIDAI’s Aadhaar Authentication History page.
- Enter your Aadhaar number and the captcha in the image.
- Click Generate OTP. You’ll get a one-time password via SMS on your phone. In case you haven’t done it already, here’s how to verify your phone number with UIDAI.
- On the next page, UIDAI lets you filter the search by specific authentication request types such as biometric, demographic, and so on. The page even allows you to select the date range — you can see authentication requests up to six months before the current date. The final field is the OTP. Just enter that and click Submit.
- Now you’ll be able to see a detailed list of Aadhaar authentication requests. This shows you the date, time, and type of authentication request. However, it does not show what company or agency used your Aadhaar data for authentication.