Mumbai: Five children of the 11 who fell ill at an Anganwadi school in Maharashtra are hospitalised after a dose of folic acid. The incident took place at an Anganwadi school at Sogaon in Thane district. It is reported that the children started vomiting after being administered with folic acid.
The Shahapur tahsildar Ravindra Baviskar said that after taking the dose of folic acid the children started vomiting. Five of them were immediately shifted to Shahur local government hospital and were undergoing treatment, he said.
The health department's probe revealed that the cause could be an excess dose of folic acid on empty stomach. Folic acid is needed for proper development of the human body. It is involved in producing genetic material called DNA. Folic acid does not occur naturally in food but is often added to refined grain products.
Also Read: Alcoholic Stabs Two Wives In A Fit Of Rage