Thiruvananthapuram: With 'artificial' Chinese eggs reportedly making their way into certain parts of Kerala, Health Minister KK Shylaja on Wednesday said a probe would be launched to find out the truth. Speaking to the media, Shylaja said she has not received any complaints on this score, but she will examine the media reports and find out whether such a product has made its way into the state.
"I will now ask the Food Safety Commissioner to seriously look into these media reports that such a product is avaliable. It would be nice if someone comes up and provides a sample of it so the tests can be conducted quickly," said Shylaja. Reports have recently surfaced that these 'artificial' eggs were coming into the state from Tamil Nadu.
According to reports, Idukki district of Kerala bordering Tamil Nadu is where this product is available. Idukki district Medical Officer Rekha also told the media that in the wake of reports on the eggs, she too will probe the matter.
'Artificial eggs,' reports say, unlike normal eggs are brown in colour and if kept in the open after cracking them, flies and other insects are not attracted to them. The eggs do not spoil or rot even after cooking or leaving them out in the open, according to reports. These are unverified claims. The cost of production is very less compared to original poultry maintenance costs.
How to Check Fake Eggs:
- After breaking the fake egg shell and opening the egg, egg white and egg yolk will soon mix together.
- Fake egg’s shell is a little bit shiner than the real egg, but it is not very remarkable/noticeable.
- When you touch the fake egg by hand, you will feels a little bit rougher than the real egg.
- When you shake the fake egg (before opening), it will make some noises since water overflows from the solid agent.
- Original chicken egg smells a little bit like raw meat.
- Tap the fake egg lightly, the n, you will see, the real egg makes a more crisp sound than the fake egg.
- After opening the fake egg, shortly, egg yolk and egg white of the fake egg will melt together while real egg not. This is because of the egg yolk and egg white are made of the same raw materials/chemicals.
- When you fry a fake egg, the yolk will be spread without being touched whereas real egg does not behave like that.
With inputs from IANS