10 Chamarajanagar Maramma Temple Devotees Die After Eating Prasadam

Devotees being carried to hospital - Sakshi Post

Bangalore:Ten devotees have died and over 80 people have fallen ill after they had 'prasadam' at Maramma temple in Chamarajnagar district, police said.

District health officer says that it could be a case where the food was poisoned. Those who took ill were rushed to the primary health centres

The incident took place in Kitchalavadi village in Kollegal taluk during the foundation laying ceremony of the gopura of the temple.

The temple comes under Kitchalavadi temple trust. During the event, the devotees were served rice bath as prasadam, following which they fell sick.

People started feeling nauseous and vomiting after an hour of eating the prasadam. About 60 crows were also found dead around the area.

Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy expressed shock over the incident, and directed the authorities to ensure that the affected people receive proper medical treatment.

Reacting to the tragedy, JDS president HD Devegowda said that he was praying for the families who have lost their loved ones in the tragedy.

"Shocked to hear that 10 people have been killed by consuming prasad at the temple in Hanur's Sulwadi village. I pray for the families who have lost loved ones in this disaster to have the strength and courage to endure the pain. Praying for those who are currently ill to get well soon," said Deve Gowda on Twitter.

The government has announced Rs 5 lakh as compensation to the kin of the deceased. The government also said that the medical treatment of those injured will be taken care of by it.

Also Read: Karnataka Man Kills Tenth Standard Girl For Resisting His Advances


Read More:

Back to Top