Livewires fixed around the agricultural fields to ward off wild boars proved fatal for four farm hands. Unaware they existed, the farm labourers came into contact with the live wire and died on the spot. Another farmer, who was with them, suffered critical injuries and is being treated in the hospital. The incident occurred in Mikkineni Palle village of Sanjamala mandal in Kurnool district.
The farm hands - identified as Sukur Basha, Uppari Sudhakar, Maddamma and Pravallika - died on the spot. Another girl accompanying them suffered grievous injuries. On knowing about this, the police and the revenue officials rushed to the spot and shifted the bodies for post-mortem. The girl has been sent to a hospital for treatment.
Fixing live wires around agricultural fields to save them from wild animal depredations is quite common in rural areas of Telugu states. Annually, scores of people die on coming to contact with these live wires and get electrocuted.
YS JAGAN EXPRESSES SHOCK: YSRCP chief YS Jagan Mohan Reddy expressed deep shock at the death of four farmers due to electrocution in Kurnool district. He expressed condolences to the kin of the victims.